Table of Contents
Coverage is used to measure tested and untested portions of the design. Coverage is defined as the percentage of verification objectives that have been met.
There are two types of coverage metrics,
- Code Coverage
- Functional Coverage
- Code coverage measures how much of the “design Code” is exercised.
- This includes the execution of design blocks, Number of Lines, Conditions, FSM, Toggle and Path.
- The simulator tool will automatically extract the code coverage from the design code.
Functional coverage is a user-defined metric that measures how much of the design specification has been exercised in verification.
There are two types of functional coverage,
- Data-oriented Coverage – Checks combinations of data values have occurred. We can get Data-oriented coverage by writing Coverage groups, coverage points and also by cross coverage
- Control-oriented Coverage – Checks whether sequences of behaviors have occurred. We can get assertion coverage by writing SystemVerilog Assertions